Thursday, September 5, 2013


What is Toastmasters?

Jerry Seinfeld said that “According to most studies, people’s number one fear is public speaking. Number two is death. So at a funeral most people would rather be in the casket than giving the eulogy!”

Is Toastmasters the answer for those people?        Perhaps!

I joined Speak For Success just 3 or 4 months ago and one thing that I have found out when I have mentioned what I am doing is that almost everyone has heard of Toastmasters. “Aaah! Toastmasters!” they say, nodding knowingly.

At this point, I am amazed at the brand awareness Toastmasters has, right up until the inevitable next comment which is usually “What is that exactly?” or “What do you do there?”

Is Toastmasters a well kept secret?      It would appear so!

          How can so many people have heard of Toastmasters but remain almost completely clueless as to what it actually is?

Toastmasters helps us overcome some of our shyness, fears and nerves, (especially when it comes to speaking in front of others), in a supportive and friendly environment. We could all find the skills and education that Toastmasters provides useful in both our private and professional lives.

          More important than the skills and education that Toastmasters provides is the fun and enjoyment we have.

I joined Speak For Success primarily to have fun. I always look forward to the meetings and I have a blast when I am there. It is my vacation away from my life, where I get to spend a few hours a month having fun with interesting people from all walks of life.

 Do you want to have more enjoyment and fun in your life?

          If you are considering joining Speak For Success, come visit and experience what we do. Guests are warmly welcomed, after all, more guests mean more members, and more members mean a much greater variety of speeches. It also means more feedback from a much more diverse group. That will make you and make us all better speakers.

That way, when given the choice at that funeral, we will gladly choose to give the eulogy rather than to be the one in the casket.

Jonathan Richardson

No comments:

Post a Comment